"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." -1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A beautiful mess

Okay so I know I’ve been slacking on my updates, and I apologize from the bottom of my heart! I’ve been super busy these last few weeks, which I'm so thankful for! It's a great thing and exactly how it should be because that means I'm actually doing what I came here to do! Plus I would have no stories to relay to y’all if I sat at home all day on my computer. I can already tell this post is going to reflect the way my brain has been working lately, very random and all over the place, so I’m sorry for the disorganization. Sometimes messes can be beautiful. I hope this is an instance where that applies.



A few weeks ago, we had a team from Texas come over here to bring a little Southern flare to Japan. They helped up north in Tohoku doing earthquake relief, but they also put on several "Texas Nights" complete with country music, line dancing, and chili dogs. Everyone had such a blast playing the culture game, where Japanese people answer questions about Texas, while the Texas people get quizzed on their knowledge of Japan. It was fun for the whole family. I was also honored to be able to accompany this awesome group of people on their day off to Tokyo and see some of the big city sights with them. One of my favorites was the famous Shinto shrines in Asakusa. The beautiful, traditional Japanese architecture gets me every time.



In the same area there is a really neat marketplace that sells all kinds of Japanese souvenirs and food. A few us even made it onto a Japanese TV show! It was sort of like "Ask Americans what they think about our inventions" type show, at least that's what they told us. I have a feeling it was more along the lines of "Let's make fun of the foreigners who don't know what we are saying about them" type show, but in our minds, we're totally famous. I'll sign autographs later.



For lunch, we had yakiniku, meaning grilled meat. It was so amazing and so much fun! Each table has its own grill with a direct flame, and each person cooks their own meat that is brought to each table seasoned and ready to go. It's so perfect because you can cook your meat as long or short as you want, so it's just the way you like it.



Every Wednesday here is team day, and everyone on the Keiyo team tries to gather to spend some quality time together. Sometimes it's team dinner or team worship, but last Wednesday it was concert of prayer. Don't be fooled by the title; it's definitely not a traditional concert. We might have sung a song or two, but essentially, the team meets together for a time of organized prayer. A representative from each location gives a report on the status of their ministry and pin points particular areas that they would like prayer for. Sometimes advice is offered from those who have been through similar experiences, but mostly it's a time to corporately praise our creator and ask for His assistance in very specific ways. For me it was such a rewarding time, especially because it made me aware of all of the different goals and struggles surrounding me that I was totally unaware of. I was particularly encouraged during the time when we split up into groups and prayed through a list of individual people on our team. It made me feel so much closer to the people I am working with, and I left feeling rejuvenated and ready to take on the world! It's so freeing to lay our burdens down at the feet of our heavenly father, and he loves to listen to his children.

I'm continuing to learn so much about Japanese culture and missions, but I can't believe my summer here is officially halfway over. Please pray that my last month will be as incredible as my first! Thanks so much for your patience and continued love and support :)

No comments:

Post a Comment