"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." -1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Friday, June 17, 2011

Raindrops keep falling on my head



So it's the rainy season here in Japan. Apparently the whole month of June is filled with cloudy skies, and precipitation is a part of daily life. It's totally not a big deal though because it keeps it fairly cool here, like typically in the 70s. However, it really likes to rain whenever I have to ride my bike. Unfortunately, I am not, nor will ever be, as skilled as the Japanese who can ride a bike not only while holding an umbrella but also texting their friends about this soaking wet American girl clinging to her handlebars for dear life like they are a necessary part of bike riding or something. It's all good though! I don't mind it at all; it's just water. God's timing sometimes just makes me laugh. We always end up making the best of the situation, and often times it works out better than could be anticipated!  For instance, on Saturday when I went to meet my new found friend Emily. She is the sister of one of the missionary families in Tokyo, and she was here for a few weeks helping them move and watching their four kids, who are super adorable by the way. Their dad had teased me about mistyping on a previous blog that some other missionaries families kids were the cutest, so I had to make sure I included their sweet young ones this time. They really are precious. 


We were also able to see their new apartment, which was super nice. It’s a 12th floor corner apartment with a great view of Tokyo Bay. From their balcony you can even see a tiny part of rainbow bridge, a notable landmark and the gateway over Tokyo Bay. Since it was still kind of dreary outside, our amazing tour guide, Keisuke showed us Tokyo Midtown, where all the wealthy Japanese go to spend their yen. It was super fancy and even had an art museum inside, which we would’ve gone to if all three of us weren't poor college kids. 


We did eat there, however, and had Tonkatsu, one of my favorite Japanese dishes thus far. 


It’s essentially pork that has been fried, served with this delicious sauce that I’m obsessed with. Of course it also came with rice and soup and salad that was to die for. Love this place. 

By this time, the rain had subsided, so we were able to go outside and explore a bit. Our fearless leader found these incredible gardens that we went to next and might've been my favorite part of the day. It was picturesque Japan, and I was in love. 



God's fingerprints were all over this place; his handiwork never ceases to amaze me. Emily and I took about a million pictures, stopping every ten seconds to capture that perfect shot with the right angles and lighting. She was the best photography partner ever. Poor Keisuke was so patient with us; he deserves some kind of an award for sure. 


Next on the agenda was this really cool shopping area that housed some very interestingly dressed individuals. We saw everything from girls that look like fake dolls to hardcore punk and one piece jumpers. If it was ever popular at one time, people are still wearing it in this place. Prime locale for people watching. We did a bit of shopping down this narrow strip and then headed out to Shibuya, the busiest intersection in the world.


Literally every time the light changes, a ridiculously massive amount of people cross this street. It's such a sight to see! The Starbucks that overlooks this intersection is always crowded with intrigued onlookers enjoying the show with their tall skinny vanilla lattes or grande matcha frappuccinos. (Those are my two favorite drinks at Starbucks just in case anyone was wondering.)  


We ended the day as all good days should end, with a sunset on a pier overlooking rainbow bridge. We actually got to ride a train that goes over this bridge earlier in the day, totally worth the fare for the view alone. It was breathtaking. We then headed back to the Pfeil's apartment for some bonding time over a wild game of chicken foot with dominoes before we said our goodbyes. All in all, my first trip to Tokyo was an unforgettable adventure, and I'm so blessed that I was able to experience it all!
Here are just a few more random pictures that I really enjoyed:






Thanks y'all!! Please keep praying!! I appreciate you so much :)

No comments:

Post a Comment